Friday, July 20, 2012

Pirate Pipe Cleaners Counting - Download

Arrrggh!! Counting with Pirates!

We are working on counting, number sense, and 1-to-1 correspondence. What better way than with Pirate Pipe Cleaners!? I saw a post on Pintrest about taping number cards to pipecleaners and having the children string the corresponding # of beads onto the pipecleaner. I created our Pirate version with calendar pieces I found on http://www.makinglearningfun.com.



 I thought that the cards on Making Learning Fun were too big for my purposes, so I simply copied the image and pasted in on to a Word document and modified the size. Afterwards I laminated them and used white duct tape to tape each card to a pipecleaner. I decided to go with yellow and gold pipecleaners to represent "treasure". Instead of beads (which I did not transport with us to our summer school classroom) we used various sized buttons (which our SLP did bring to our summer school placement).


Sorry about the poor quality!
I also added dots to help the students count along, or check their work. Each card has the number of dots as the number listed.

Adaptations For Different Learning Needs

  • Some learners just worked on stringing beads to foster fine motor skills
  • Others who struggle with fine motor skills were asked to identify the numbers, or count the dots.
  • You could adapt this as a sequencing activity too.


3 comments:

  1. Hi - thanks for stopping by my blog! I added you to my sped blog list, and am your newest follower! I love your pirate counting - great idea to use calendar numbers! I am doing a pirate theme for my classroom next year so this would be perfect.

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and fun activity.

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to come and visit me when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I have enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Special Posts